24.2.12

Whole-Wheat Apple Ginger Muffins



The skies have been pretty grey around here lately and I don't know about you, but if it's cloudy for too long I tend to fall into a slump. This month, though, I have vowed to keep myself out of those rainy day blues by doing little things to cheer myself up once in a while! Here's what I've come up with:

-Exercise every morning
-Listen to songs that take me back to really happy moments in my life
-Watch Breakfast at Tiffany's
-When I study, relocate once in a while to somewhere across campus to get a change of scenery plus a refreshing walk
-Wear lipstick (silly, but I've found that a little glamour always helps)
-Reserve a studio and dance around for an hour 
-Make an effort to prepare myself a good breakfast to start the day on the right foot

As far as breakfast goes, my favorite thing to do lately is bake a big batch of muffins or scones, freeze them and then heat one up in the microwave in the morning. Voila! Instant, delicious baked-goods. These yummy apple ginger muffins have kept me going for about a week now, and I'm still not sick of them :)



Whole-Wheat Apple Ginger Muffins

makes 12 muffins

1  1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
3/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup canola oil (can be replaced with applesauce for a fat-free version)
1 apple, peeled and grated

1. Preheat your oven to 375ยบ and line a muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk with the lemon juice and let it curdle for a minute or two. Whisk in the ginger and canola oil. 
3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the grated apple. Distribute the batter evenly between the muffin liners and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 




What do you do to cheer yourself up on grey days?

16 comments:

  1. Exercise and happy music always work for me too :)

    These muffins would definitely brighten up any gray day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can't go wrong with those endorphins!

      Delete
  2. Some good ol' country music always rocks my socks. The greatest way to spend a rainy/grey afternoon, I find, is to play something like Lady Antebellum at full volume whilst baking one of my favourite cakes/cupcakes/muffins. And then eat a giant sized portion whilst watching a good Disney film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love it. That sounds like the perfect way to unwind! Childhood favorite movies are always great.

      Delete
  3. Exercise is always uplifting for me too; also comfort food slow cooking or baking, the kind that fills your home with smells from your childhood!

    Cozying up on the couch with my favorite cable knit throw, a cup of tea and an amazing book always relaxes me and puts me in an instant good mood :)

    Love Muffin recipes that can be made in large batches that freeze well; also loving your muffin tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe it was another Goodwill find.
      Reading a good book is definitely another good way to spend a grey day- and you can never go wrong with comfort food!

      Delete
  4. I think I will make a batch of these muffins and the scones below for the freezer, mornings, and gray days. I love your photography! The composition, color, lighting makes everything so delicious and beautiful. I wish my food could always look so good.

    On gray days I love to curl up on the couch with a cup of tea, a good book, and three cats on my lap~ !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I wish I had some cats to curl up on my lap...

      Delete
  5. Yum, Ruby! These look so delicious - I just made apple cinnamon muffins, and am kicking myself for not making apple ginger.. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashlae! Apple and cinnamon is always a great classic, but it is fun to put a twist on things :)

      Delete
  6. hi there! i just found your blog recently through you pictures on foodgawker. i made your chocolate cherry cake for my grandmas birthday and it was so delicious. these muffins look great as well -- i love baking with apples. thanks for the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Apples are one of my favorite fruits to bake with- they're so versatile. I'm glad you enjoyed the cake :)

      Delete
  7. those muffins seem amazing!!
    I will try this recipe!
    thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you! Let me know how they turn out for you!

      Delete
  8. I don't mean to be repetitious, but I sure do love the photos you take!!! I love the compositions and colors and textures. Not to mention the recipes sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! I made these changes... Oat flour instead of AP flour, reduced oil and used applesauce and juice from grating the fresh apple. Reduced sugar and used cinnamon. I wanted more of a apple cinnamon flavor so didnt add the ginger, but will definitely try ginger next time. I was surprised how moist the muffin turned out. This is a keeper

    ReplyDelete