2.11.11

Sunday Pancakes



When I was little, having pancakes on a Sunday morning was always the most exciting thing in the world. It didn't happen very often, so you knew it was an extra special day when you woke up to the smell of butter sizzling on the griddle.

Confession time: Now that I'm in college and I have more control over my own meals, I have pancakes at least every other weekend. Somehow though, the novelty still hasn't worn off. They're still a super exciting prospect to wake up to. My friends and I usually go to this great brunch place in town, The Black River Cafe, that has incredible vegan pancakes, but this past weekend I decided I didn't feel like spending the extra money, so we made our own!

I have had the most difficult time coming up with a good vegan pancake recipe- I'm on a quest for the perfect one. The recipes I've made in the past were either too cakey, chewy or just plain ugly looking. This easy little recipe, however, is getting much closer to the perfect pancake. I will continue to tweak it in the future and let you all know how they turn out, but for now try this one! It's great!

Sunday Pancakes (adapted from Kirsten's Kitchen)

Serves 2

1 1/4 cups flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tbsp sugar

pinch of salt

1 cup soy milk

1 tbsp canola oil

1 tsp white distilled vinegar

Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl, then ladle batter into circles onto a heated and greased pan. Cook over medium-low heat for about 1-2 minutes each side.



I love how versatile pancakes are. Feel free to slather them in syrup, like I did, or else applesauce, peanut butter, and jelly are all great toppings. You could also mix anything into this batter; chocolate chips, bananas, berries, whatever your taste-buds desire!

7 comments:

  1. I too, have yet to find a good vegan pancake recipe. I think I will try this one out this weekend! Your photos make them look delicious--- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. matthew smith3.11.11

    I sit here eating my two-day-old-left-over-oatmeal, and I just have to wonder why I'm not eating pancakes right now. They look a lot tastier.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Dave Stringer4.11.11

    First off Ruby, I am sorry your mother didn't make pancakes more often for you. Bad mom. My mom made them for me whenever I wanted them. (ha ha)I think pancakes are one of my favorite things to eat. Try the Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle mix. You can make them vegan, top them off with Earth Balance butter and T.J's organic Maple Agave Syrup Blend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only mothers made this every day, seven days a week. There are so many many fun ways of playing around with pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true! It's fun to try to think up new combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds amazing! Unfortunately the closest Trader Joe's is much to far to walk, and I have no car access. I'll have to make my own pumpkin pancakes! Or wait for a care package.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] only have I been on a quest for the perfect vegan pancake, but I’ve been searching for the perfect vegan chocolate chip cookie as well. I think I got [...]

    ReplyDelete